Sunday 15 January 2012

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

Cassius:
"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings."


Julius Caesar (Act 1, Scene 2)


The Fault In Our Stars is a poignant tale about sixteen year old cancer-suffer Hazel Grace Lancaster, who enjoys life's simple pleasures of reading poetry and watching trashy TV. All she wants is to be normal, and to not have others look at her like a 'cancer kid'. But since this is not possible, over the years she becomes somewhat of a homebody, staying indoors as often as possible, reading her favourite novel, An Imperial Affliction, over and over again. It is when she is encouraged to attend a Cancer Kid Support Group where she meets the mysterious and alluring Augustus Waters, who changes Hazel's life and perspective of it in the most wonderful ways.

John Green uses humour and philosophy to swiftly carry us through this journey of self-actualization, engaging the reader with his quick-witted dialogue, Venn diagram humour and profound outlooks on how we view the universe. He is one of those authors that can write the kind of books that make you feel ALL OF THE THINGS. You may not necessarily cry (I did), but you will certainly laugh, think and feel deeply for the story and all of the characters in it (which I certainly did). It is very rare to find a book that you want to read as soon as you finish it, and that stays with you long after the final page.

Whenever I read a John Green book, I always hear his voice narrating in my head, which made reading the first couple of chapters slightly challenging. But Hazel's voice becomes so clear throughout the story that it wasn't long before Green's voice slowly dissolved away (although I sincerely hope it comes back when reading his other books). Both Hazel's narration and dialogue, along with Augustus's, was real and unpatronising. I felt so invested and wrapped up in both Hazel and Augustus's lives, so much so that I felt as if I were a part of it all. I felt as I knew them as friends. Green paints such a brilliant picture throughout the novel, that I felt like I was right there with them, sitting with them at picnics, on Hazel's couch watching TV, amongst the circle in the Literal Heart of Jesus.

It's hard for me to pinpoint my favourite part of the book, because I think the whole thing is simply a work of genius, but I have to say, I did really like the philosophies and questions that were raised throughout the novel. John Green is a smart man, and unlike some adults out there, he acknowledges that teenagers are smart too, and therefore he isn't afraid to throw at us big topics such as death and oblivion and 'what happens after'. I find with some YA authors, they are maybe slightly afraid of overwhelming their readers, therefore simplifying things and and keeping it light. That is not to say that their books are not enjoyable, but it emphasises how much Green values his readers and does not undermine their intelligence.

The Fault In Our Stars is so much more than just a book about cancer. It's about a journey, both literal and metaphorical. It's about being realistic without being pessimistic. It's about wanting to be noticed by the universe, and noticing it back. It's about acceptance, longing and understanding. It's about family, friendship, love, and all of the things in between. It's about living your best life today.

Find out more about John Green through his twitter, website, and Vlogbrothers project on YouTube, where he collaborates with his brother, Hank, to create fun and informative videos with prevent the world from suck, and to make us laugh.


No comments:

Post a Comment