Sunday 27 January 2013

Ombre, olay!

So yesterday I took the plunge and finally ombred my hair! I've always loved the ombre/dip dye look, it adds so much texture and depth and makes hair look sun-kissed and glorious. I thought I'd make a little post just outlining the process and my experience with DIY ombre-ing.



I used the Jerome Russell Bblonde Highlighting Kit, which can be bought from most retailers such as Boots and Superdrug, but I ordered a box online. I was a little apprehensive at first, there's so much colour in my hair from previous dying and bleaching, I was scared that it would all go terribly wrong. But it was great, and I'll definitely be using it again should my hair ever require more bleaching.


The kit comes with power bleach and cream peroxide, which you mix together using a handy little mixing brush. Mixing it all together was a strange experience, at first the power made the solution go all pasty and lumpy, not comforting in the slightest, but it slowly smoothed itself out into a moose-like substance. I didn't apply the bleach straight to my hair from the brush, I used a 'scrunching' method recommended by several DIY  dip-dyers (I did some pretty thorough research). This way it stops it from looking streaky and gives the appearance of gradual and more natural lightening. I left it on for about 40 minutes before washing it out with the sachet of conditioner it came with.

 Just after first appyling... nervous!                               Bleach working its magic 30 minutes in.

It was a very nerve-wracking experience, but the bleach took to my hair surprisingly well considering all that my hair has been through in the last couple of years. And now I'm left with this end result:


I adore it! You can tell it's been done at home as opposed to professionally, but that doesn't really bother me. I'm gonna have to take even better care of my hair than I already do, but it doesn't matter because it was so so worth it. I adore my new hair, it is the perfect remedy for these dull winter days.


No comments:

Post a Comment