Tuesday 22 January 2013

"Put on some lipstick and pull yourself together."


I've always loved the idea of lipstick and the women who wear them. We've all seen those chic French girls with cropped hair and a dash of red lipstick, making them instantly look fabulous. It is such a simple way to add instant glamour to your look. Even though I've always thought of myself as a 'lipstick person', for a long time I only really had one in my make up bag. It's only in the last year or so that I've started experimenting with different shades and acquiring a modest collection.

So without further ado, let's take a peek at the lippies that take residence inside my make up bag. 


Starting with the nudes, we have Nude Delight by Rimmel London and L'Oreal's Kiss and Blush. As you can see, the L'Oral has been worn down a bit, and that's because it's the oldest on in this collection, the very lipstick that started off my love affair. As you can see from the swatch, it is very shimmery with a lightly pink tinge, an all-round great girly lipstick. I bought the Rimmel so that I could have a more matte nude lipstick, for days where I don't want to bring attention to my lips but still want to wear something on them.


Onto the 'darker' colours (for a lack of a better word). The first, a fairly new one, a classic red by MUA (it doesn't have the name at the base so you'll have to bear with me on the lone swatch). Does it really need elaborating? For times I want the 'classic French chic' I mentioned before. I think everyone should have a staple red lipstick in their make up bag. Its also really matte which I like, but I always have to make sure to moisturise my lips beforehand so they don't dry out after a while. Next is Showbiz by 17, a nice vibrant pinky-red that really shows through once on your lips, and its a nice spin on the classic red (how many more times am I going to say 'classic' in this post?) Finally we have Rimmel London in Electric Plum. First of all, I really love the name, whenever I pick this lipstick up I'm always saying it in my head, and sometimes out loud, over and over again. Don't know why, I just love it. This is one I typically wear at night, like to a meal or a night out, as I'm not really a fan of dark lipstick colours in the day.


And finally we have oranges, the newer and braver additions to my palette. I started getting into orange/coral lipsticks after discovering beauty blogger Zoella and her Youtube channel. Had I not been exposed to her before, I would have thought that orange was an absurd shade of lipstick to wear. But seeing how good and so not crazy it looked on her, it swayed me to have a try. To ease myself into the bold new colour, I started off with Magnetic Coral by L'Oreal, still orangey but with some pink undertones to soften it up, and I have to say, it's my favourite and my go-to daily lipstick. In fact, I even wear it at night sometimes too, I love it that much. Typically when my make up and outfit combination is quite dark, to brighten up and so that the look isn't too severe. Since I had some much luck with this one, I decided to purchase Zoella's favourite Infrared by Topshop. This one is definitely a true orange, and I have to say, it took a bit of getting used to when I first tried it on. Though in the swatches they look quite similar in colour, you can notice the difference a bit more when actually on the lips. I'm still getting used to it, but I really like it, and I think when I find the right look to wear it with, it will be in its element.



So there we have it, my small collection of lipsticks. It's a good one I think, each one has a purpose, and I can guarantee to find one to match my mood or what I'm wearing. Do you have a favourite lipstick brand/shade?


No comments:

Post a Comment